Adding Attachments - Don't See Your "My Computer" Icon?
Certain versions of the Internet Explorer and Firefox browsers are not compatible with eLearning Commons. Please see our browser page for more infomation. We do recommend that all eLearning Commons users download and use the Firefox browser for accessing their course materials as it generally tends to have fewer issues.
If you do not see your "My Computer" Icon when you try to upload a file or attachment, that issue is probably a Java-related problem. Please check the items below to attempt to get your "My Computer" icon back:
- Run the Browser Check to ensure that you have a compatible Java version.
- If you don't, you can either update your current version of Java or remove older versions of Java and install the latest Java version. Please see our browser page for detailed instructions.
- Clear out your Java cache. Please see our browser page for detailed instructions.
You can proceed with the work-around, detailed below, which will allow you to upload files even if the "My Computer" Icon issue persists.
"My Computer" Icon is still not displaying and I need to upload a file/attachment
If you have a compatible version of Java, and are seeing a box with a red x instead of the "My Computer" icon in the "Get Files" window, the following steps will allow you to add attachments:
- Move your mouse cursor slowly below where the "My Computer" icon should be. You will see the cursor change to a link pointer (the hand with the index finger pointing up).
- When the cursor changes into a link pointer, left-click and you'll see a new screen with a link that says "Click here to select files individually".
- When you click that link you'll be able to browse the files on your computer and upload them without using the Java "My Computer" applet
eLearning Commons can only add attachments that do not have special characters in the file name. Please ensure that your file names are short (no more than 15 characters long) and contain only letters, numbers, dashes "-", and underscores "_". File names cannot contain spaces, quotation marks, or punctuation.